Thursday, February 19, 2009

Mariposa Day Dos!


Our group spent an almost perfect day Tuesday at the second butterfly sanctuary called Sierra Chincua. I actually rode a horse, using a guide, to the entrance of the site where all the butterflies were roosting. Those animals are certainly sure footed! I do have a picture of myself on the horse...we will use it for some comedy routine when I return!!

The butterflies were just dripping from the branches of the trees. This santuary was protected by the national police to prevent logging, just like the rainforest. People do not live there year round, so the police watch the land. There were some locals deep in the santuary. One young man showed me the tags he found from over ten butterflies. When the butterflies move down the mountain this boy would go to the roosting place and look for tags. He said someone from the Chicago was coming to buy them from him! This is one of the many ways the people of these rural regions make money. They live very simpley and are very poor.... no running water, minimal electricity.

During the time we spent watching the butterflies the frequently cascaded. This means suddenly they all fly from trees and move to another. I have several videos I will try to post.

I did learn that many of the butterflies that we saw dead at El Rosario were actually due to a deer mouse preditor. They eat the body of the butterfly and leave the wings. At Sierra Chincua we saw few dead butterflies. This is partly due to the fact that they are now moving down the mountain looking for water and nectaring sources. Many butterflies die of starvation or dehydration, how sad!

We did not have a public computer her in Patzcuaro, so I am using another teacher's computer. We return to Mexico City today, so I am unsure how soon I can blog again.

No comments: