Monday, February 16, 2009

Mariposa Day!



Today we walked up ramps and steps, also known as inclined planes, to an altitude of 10,000 feet! The climb itself was not difficult, it was the breathing. We took frequent breaks, and after walking an hour and a half, we reached trees where the mariposas were roosting. Actually, they were flying all around us almost the entire walk up the mountain! As we approached the top, there were tons of mariposas flying around and dotting the sky. We entered a clearing to find MANY dead mariposas that may have died from the cold or lack of food.

This picture of the mariposas, Mrs. Sanford (The Water Wizard!) and I found on our road less traveled. As we headed down the mountain we somehow took the wrong path! We found ourselves in this clearing with a stream where hundreds of mariposas were puddling (drinking)! Luckily for us, a native family came through and helped us find our way back to the main path.....I actually remembered an important Spanish word, "salida", which means exit! Phew, then the downhill walk! By the time I reached the bottom, my legs were shaking so badly! Really, my knees felt like jello! I will sleep well tonight. I took pictures of many simple machines from the silver mine. Watch for them to show up on the blog.

No comments: